[CogSci] experience with FindingFive (a platform for online experiment administration)

Masha Fedzechkina mfedzech at email.arizona.edu
Sat Mar 28 18:23:52 PDT 2020

Dear Colleagues!

Many of you are probably looking into options to run experiments online in
the current circumstances. My lab has been running participants fully
online for over two years so I thought I'd share my experience in case it's
useful to some of you.

I've used the FindingFive (findingfive.com) platform for coding and
administering online experiments and it has worked well for my lab and the
graduate classes I teach.

FindingFive is easy to use. It's not drag-and-drop and one does need to
learn to code. In my opinion, however, coding in FindingFive is easier than
in many other systems I've worked with. To give you an idea: Students in my
graduate psycholinguistics class with no previous coding experience are
able to create, run, and analyze an experiment for their class project
within a semester using FindingFive with no issues.

It covers a large range of methodologies. My lab primarily uses it for
complex artificial language learning studies. For example, Lucy Hall
Hartley (University of Arizona) and I used FindingFive to run multi-day
cross-linguistic artificial language studies (see this paper for more
details: osf.io/xtqdm/) and Gareth Roberts (University of Pennsylvania) and
I used it to study the interplay of social and communicative biases (more
details here: osf.io/usfhz/). The students in my class used FindingFive for
self-paced reading, grammaticality judgements, surveys, ratings, elicited
production (one can record spoken language over the web with good quality),
etc.

While the system is reasonably stable, I do occasionally come across a bug
or two. FindingFive support is, however, excellent and they usually fix the
straightforward issues quickly.

I hope this is useful!
Masha

--