[CogSci] Survey about academic conference organization and sustainability

Lilia Rissman lilrissman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 09:05:15 PDT 2020

Hello cogsci listserv,

Our research team at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is conducting a
study on sustainability in cognitive science and we are interested in
surveying researchers for a study about their habits and preferences for
conference formats.

The current pandemic has changed the way conferences are being run this
year. In recent years, increased attention has been paid to conference
accessibility and the demographic makeup and sustainability of
international conferences. Significant technological advances have allowed
conferences that are entirely virtual to take place. Moreover, global
climate change has individuals rethinking their approach to conference
travel. This is a good time for our field to reflect on the standard
conference model, online adaptation, and what we want our standard model to
be once this crisis has past.

Our survey is designed to probe the attitudes and habits of the broader
Cognitive Science community to identify potential actionable changes that
can be made to the standard conference model that will increase
accessibility and reduce the carbon footprint of global science. Please
follow the link to a five- to ten-minute survey that asks for your specific
attitudes about these issues.

https://uwmadison.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8f6RfJsVMalMi6p
Thank you for your time. To find out more information, please email
Cassandra Jacobs (cjacobs2 at wisc.edu) and/or Lilia Rissman (lrissman at wisc.edu
).

--
Lilia Rissman, PhD