[CogSci] Call for Papers - Society for Computation in Psychology (SCiP) 2020

Alexandra Paxton paxton.alexandra at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 13:05:50 PDT 2020

*Dear colleague,   The 50th annual meeting of the Society for Computation
in Psychology (SCiP; formerly known as the Society for Computers in
Psychology) is pleased to announce its call for papers. The meeting will be
held on Thursday, November 19, 2020, before the opening of the annual
meeting of the Psychonomic Society. We invite you to submit your paper by
July 31, 2020.   Due to the international pandemic, SCiP 2020 will be an
entirely virtual conference. Details are still being finalized, but SCiP
governance is actively listening to the experiences and advice from virtual
conference organizers to make our annual meeting as smooth and inclusive as
possible. We invite submissions by all SCiPpers—both regular attendees and
newcomers alike.   The theme for this year’s conference is “Computation for
Social Good.” As we celebrate our 50th anniversary, the invited talks in
this theme will highlight how interdisciplinary computational research can
benefit society in a variety of arenas. We hope this theme will inspire
another 50 years of computation in psychology, with a special dedication to
improving the lives and societies around us.    As part of this year's
conference, we invite researchers to submit for a special session for
scientific work under this theme. We especially encourage research related
to racial inequity and anti-racism (e.g., de-biasing algorithms). We also
encourage our members to share this call with others who are doing related
work but who may not be regular SCiP attendees.   To submit an abstract or
symposium proposal, please follow the instructions on our online submission
form, available in a direct link here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd5eDhftX_pnijlPzBFM9CJIo6fu5-yGUCuqoYQLlTG_6WvTA/viewform?usp=sf_link>
or linked on our website (https://scip.ws <https://scip.ws>). You may
indicate there whether you would like your paper to be considered under the
special “Computation for Social Good” session.   Please consider forwarding
our conference call to folks around your department (especially if they
have been unable to attend SCiP in the past). We hope to see you there!
Sincerely, Alexandra Paxton (U. Connecticut), SCiP President Erin Buchanan
(U. Harrisburg), SCiP Executive Director Rick Dale (UCLA), SCiP Executive
Director   ===   What is SCiP?   If you are new to SCiP, it is an
organization of researchers interested in applications of computational
techniques and methods in psychology. This includes applications in
educational technology, emerging research methods, statistical analyses,
web-based research, clinical applications, and computational modeling. The
Society has also encouraged consideration of psychological aspects of
hardware and software development and design. Membership is open to any
person who has an academic degree and who is active in scientific
applications of computers to psychological research.   Program Information
for the 2020 Conference   The format of our entirely virtual programming is
still under development. However, the program will include papers,
tutorials, and symposia dealing with the use of computers in all areas of
psychological research, including (but not limited to):         Web-based
research, data collection, and tools      Online social media and
communication      Brain imaging methods and analysis      Human-computer
interaction       Diagnostic and assessment tools      Eye tracking tools
and applications      Novel experimental methodology      Psychology of
video games      Instructional software      Modeling cognitive and neural
processes      Statistical software and algorithms      Online learning and
instruction      Virtual environments   You need not be a current member of
SCiP to present at the conference, and the modest conference registration
fee also serves as your annual membership dues.   Special Issue of Behavior
Research Methods   Conference presenters (both spoken and poster
presentations) are invited to submit articles based on presentations at the
SCiP meeting to a special issue of Behavior Research Methods, the official
journal of the Society. The September 2021 issue of Behavior Research
Methods will feature the 2020 SCiP conference. Although papers submitted to
the special issue go through a normal review process, the time to
publication is greatly accelerated. Consequently, this is an excellent
opportunity to get your important research published in an extremely timely
fashion. This is one of the important perks of attending the conference.
Submissions should be prepared according to the guidelines of BRM (see
https://www.springer.com/journal/13428
<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjournals.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7Calexandra.paxton%40uconn.edu%7Ce2950ce4555e41d116d408d80cb4057a%7C17f1a87e2a254eaab9df9d439034b080%7C0%7C0%7C637273314617151121&sdata=Tk4ZXXTe6y6%2BwkK0cGEV2VrG0Al%2BRjneE3L2FSxJ0Uw%3D&reserved=0>)
and submitted through the BRM submission portal. It is important to
indicate that the submission is for the “SCiP Issue.” The deadline for
article submission is December 31, 2020.   Student Awards   First-time
graduate student presenters are strongly encouraged to submit abstracts. If
you are a first-time graduate student attending SCiP, and the primary
presenter, you may be eligible to have your registration waived as part of
the Birnbaum Scholarship for first-time graduate presenters. Please contact
our Executive Director, Erin Buchanan (<EBuchanan at HarrisburgU.edu>), for
details.    The Society sponsors The Castellan Student Paper Award for the
outstanding student paper. Student papers on the application of computers
to any area of psychology (theoretical, experimental, applied) are welcome.
Eligibility is open to work done by a student currently enrolled in
undergraduate or graduate courses, or work done as part of a course,
thesis, or other student research by a person who graduated within the last
year. The student must be the primary author and the presenter of the
paper. The winning author will receive a one-year membership in the
Society, a one-year subscription to BRM, and a $200 cash prize.    Students
who wish to have their papers considered for the award should indicate
their desire at the time of submission and are required to submit the
complete manuscript for evaluation for the competition by October 1, 2020.
The award for the outstanding student paper will be presented at the
conference during the business meeting.    Instructions for Submitting to
SCiP 2020   To submit an abstract or symposium, please follow the
instructions on our online submission form, available here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd5eDhftX_pnijlPzBFM9CJIo6fu5-yGUCuqoYQLlTG_6WvTA/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
It is also linked on our Society’s webpage (http://scip.ws/
<http://scip.ws/>).    Deadline: July 31, 2020*

--