[CogSci] beta testers for automatic pupillometry

Samuel Mehr sam at wjh.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 22 16:29:34 PDT 2020

Dear CogSci, apologies for the second email on automatic pupillometry (or
the 3rd or 4th if you're on other listservs). We've had a lot of interest
in the new method, so here are answers to most of the questions people have
written in with:

- there is no limit to the number of labs that can sign up to be beta
testers: any lab in any country doing any kind of human subjects research
(infants, children, adults all OK) can sign up
- everyone who signs up will be given free, unlimited use of the beta
version of the software as soon as it is available (hopefully within one
year from now)
- all you need to have are videos of participants in an experiment (or, if
you don't have them yet, plan to be collecting videos in the next few
months)
- the videos do *not* need to be super high quality; it's OK for them to
come from webcams in online studies, for instance, or for them to come from
your lab's archives in old low-resolution formats etc
- no technical expertise is required to use the software
- no fancy equipment is required. we will be making a standalone version
that runs on a reasonably fast desktop computer as an ordinary graphical
application that you can download and install
- we will also (probably) be making a CLI version for cluster computing,
for labs who want to extract pupillometry from many hours of video
- after the beta period is over, we will do a free release of the complete
version of the software, but that may be several years from now

Most importantly at this early stage: to ensure that your letter makes it
into NSF on time, *please follow the instructions below to submit a letter
*by 5 July*.*

> If you are interested in being a beta tester, please send an NSF-style
> Letter of Collaboration to musiclab+pupils at g.harvard.edu. It needs to be
> a pdf, on your letterhead, and signed, with the following text as the body
> of the letter.

If the proposal submitted by Dr. Samuel Mehr entitled "Post-hoc
>> pupillometry" is selected for funding by NSF, it is my intent to
>> collaborate and/or commit resources as detailed in the Project Description
>> or the Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources section of the proposal.

Thanks so much for all the inquiries and I'm happy to answer more questions
off-list!

best
Sam

--