[CogSci] [WEBINAR] Ruth Millikan, 7 February: Neural Mechanisms Online

Fabrizio Calzavarini fabrizio.calzavarini at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 4 06:00:05 PST 2020

Neural Mechanisms Online(website)
Webinar
15-17 Greenwhich Mean Time (check your local time here)
JOIN @ https://unito.webex.com/unito-en/onstage/g.php?MTID=e8144ae53f2667a07c135bc8c0e179a8cthe link will be activated 10 mins before the talk. Practical information below
Ruth MILLIKAN(University of Connecticut)
Mental Representation made simple

Contrary to current rumors that there is something suspicious about the notion of mental representation, I am persuaded that the description of “intentional icons” and of “representations” first presented in my Language, Thought and Other Biological Categories (1984) captures a central and also a remarkably simple causal-explanatory principle that is involved in the workings of perception, cognition and language. So I am going to return to this description, highlighting its outlines to bring out its simplicity and also, I hope, the obviousness and innocuous nature of this principle. I will add a few words about "intensionality" and why it is irrelevant to the naturalization of mental representation.

::::::
https://www.neuralmechanisms.org/webinarseries2020.html

Webinars are open to anyone with an internet connection. They will deal with hot topics of the philosophy of neuroscience. Several outstanding researchers from all around the world will present their paper, which will be shared via our mailing list. During the session, the author will present their work (45-50 min) and discuss it with the participants. Please find the calendar with the list of speakers below. Further update will be made available on our website: https://www.neuralmechanisms.org/.
To receive material, videos, and details about how to connect with us, please join our mailing list by writing to:

"neuralmechanisms at gmail.com"

****
10 January, 3-5 pm (GMT)
Manolo MARTINEZ
(Assistant Professor, University of Barcelona, Spain)

****24 January, 3-5 pm (GMT)
Frances EGAN
(Full Professor, Rutgers University, USA)

****7 February, 3-5 pm (GMT)
Ruth MILLIKAN
(Emeritus Professor, University of Connecticut, USA)

****21 February, 3-5 pm (GMT)
Marcin MIŁKOWSKI
(Associate Professor, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland)

****6 March, 3-5 pm (GMT)
William RAMSEY
(Full Professor, University of Nevada, USA)

****20 March, 3-5 pm (GMT)
Zina WARD
(PhD Candidate, University of Pittsburgh, USA)

****10 April, 2-4 pm (GMT)
Adina ROSKIES
(Full Professor, Dartmouth College, USA)

****24 April, 2-4 pm (GMT)
Brendan RITCHIE
(Post Doc, KU Leuven, Belgium)

****8 May,  2-4 pm (GMT)
Russ POLDRACK
(Full Professor, Standford University, USA)

****22 May,  2-4 pm (GMT)
Rosa CAO
(Assistant Professor, Standford University, USA)

****NB all times refer to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). You can check your local time here: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20191120T130000

****