[CogSci] Stanford CSLI Summer REU Program 2021

Michael C. Frank mcfrank at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 14 16:44:40 PST 2020

Dear all,

I'm writing to announce this year's Stanford undergraduate summer research
experience program in the cognitive sciences!

https://www-csli.stanford.edu/csli-summer-internship-program

At the Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI), interns
will work closely with a faculty, postdoc, or grad student mentor on an
original cognitive science research project. They will gain experience
developing the project, collecting data, and analyzing the results. In
addition to their individual projects, interns will attend weekly
mentorship meetings and seminars with such topics as reading a scientific
paper, introduction to data analysis, statistics and visualization, and
presentation skills. The program will culminate with each intern presenting
their work to an interdisciplinary audience.

Interns will receive a stipend that will cover housing and other living
expenses.

Note: For the 2021 summer, the internship may be remote, in-person or
hybrid. We will notify the candidates with an update when we extend offers
at the beginning of March.

The topical focus of the program will be on language, learning,
computation, and cognition, with an emphasis on giving students the skills
they need to complete an independent project. Mentors will be from
cognitive science departments across Stanford, including Psychology,
Linguistics, Computer Science, and Philosophy.

The program is 8 weeks, from June 21, 2021 to Aug 13, 2021, and is
primarily intended for rising college Juniors and Seniors, though we will
consider other applicants as well.

Students should plan to be available for the entirety of the summer program
in order to attend training sessions at the beginning of the program and
final presentations at the end. In general, interns are expected to be
working full-time, 40 hours/week, from 9AM - 5PM, Monday - Friday.

One goal of the internship is to increase the diversity of the higher
education pipeline, and we therefore especially encourage applicants who
come from groups that are historically underrepresented in research
careers. We also welcome applications from students without prior research
experience and from non-research institutions.

The CSLI Internship Program is supported in part by the NSF's Research
Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program (award #1659585).

Dates: June 21, 2021 - Aug 13, 2021

Website: https://www-csli.stanford.edu/csli-summer-internship-program
Application link: https://stanfordcsli.submittable.com/submit

Application due date: February 1, 2021, 11:59 pm Pacific Standard Time

Qualifications:

This is an interdisciplinary summer program, and we encourage students from
a wide range of majors to apply. The program aims to expand undergraduate
access to research, and as such past research experience is NOT a
prerequisite and we welcome applications from diverse personal and
institutional backgrounds (including teaching-focused colleges).
Applications will be evaluated on the basis of the academic foundations
that lead to successful research experience, whether or not applicants have
had such experience already.

The program is intended for rising college Juniors and Seniors from outside
Stanford University, but we will consider all applicants for the program.
Stanford undergraduates who are interested in the CSLI program should apply
to their department or program's summer fellowship (e.g. Psychology,
Linguistics, Symbolic Systems) and speak with their research mentor about
participating.

To be eligible, you must be a documented U.S. citizen, a permanent resident
in possession of an alien registration card (I-555), or an international
student enrolled in a U.S. undergraduate institution.

best,
----
Michael C. Frank
David and Lucile Packard Professor of Human Biology
Director, Symbolic Systems Program
Department of Psychology
Stanford University
http://langcog.stanford.edu