[CogSci] MarieSkłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships at the University of Coimbra and the Proaction Lab

Jorge Almeida jorgecbalmeida at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 07:02:47 PDT 2020

Apologies for cross-posting.

Are you (or someone you know) interested in applying to a Marie
Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (MSCA-IF) to work on object
perception and recognition using neuroimaging, behavioral and computational
approaches (fMRI, 256 ch EEG, MRI/EEG fusion, tDCS, DNNs, etc)? A MSCA-IF
can be a great boost to your career if you are looking for a prestigious
Fellowship that allows you to pursue your own independent research!!

And are you interested in coming to Portugal and widen your research
abilities in this beautiful and welcoming country? Then please contact us:
Jorge Almeida and the Proaction Lab, at the University of Coimbra,
Portugal, are looking for strong postdoctoral candidates for a conjoint
application to a MSCA-IF! The University of Coimbra and the Proaction Lab
(Jorge Almeida’s lab) will provide support on the application. At the
University of Coimbra we are committed to provide you with individualized
support for the success of your application. We offer help in writing the
technical (from the Proaction Lab) and non-technical sections (from the
Proaction Lab and a group of specialized science communicators and
managers) of your application, a wide range of re-location services should
you become a Fellow and competitive conditions to maximize the transfer of
knowledge and impact of your research.

About the Proaction Lab:

The lab is now funded by an ERC grant to Jorge Almeida, as well as several
national grants. We are interested in how we recognize objects, how
different brain regions encode information and constrain encoding and
information processing in different distal areas, and how information is
organized in the brain. We are currently moving towards a temporal
understanding of these phenomena and so are particularly interested in EEG
approaches. We have access to a large pool of participants (close to 200
participants per semester), and to behavioral data collection and
presentation equipment. We have access to eyetracking and motion tracking
techniques. We also have access to a 3T MRI scanner with a 64-channel coil
(with EEG inside the scanner), to a 256 Ch EEG that we are currently
purchasing, and to tDCS with neuronavigation.

The University and the City:

The University of Coimbra just celebrated our 730-year-old birthday and it
has been selected as a UNESCO world Heritage site. It is one of the most
prestigious Universities in Portugal, has attracted the largest amount of
European funding of all Portuguese Universities, and has the largest
international community of students and researchers. The University of
Coimbra aims at supporting excellent research to be conducted within its
premises and works to attract young researchers to carry out high-quality,
innovative research. The University of Coimbra is among the best major
science and technology hubs for applied and fundamental research in
Portugal. Also, the UC is a founding member of the network Coimbra Group
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coimbra_Group>, a group of leading European
universities. Coimbra is one of the most lively university cities in the
world, and it is a beautiful city with easy access to the beach and
mountain.

You should contact us as soon as you can! The interested candidates should
email Jorge Almeida for questions and applications. Please send an email
with the subject “MSCA-IF - Proaction” with your curriculum vitae, list of
publications, 2 reference letters, and a short description of your
experience in the field and how you fulfill the requirements (fit with the
position) to:jorgealmeida at fpce.uc.pt.

*Choosing the University of Coimbra as your Host Institution*

Summary of cost of living in Coimbra

·       Four-person family monthly costs: 1.815,66€ without rent (using
numbeo.com)
<https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city-estimator/in/Coimbra>.

·       A single person monthly costs: 517,07€ without rent.

·       Cost of living index in Coimbra is 5,21% lower than in Lisbon.

·       Cost of living rank 260th out of 460 cities in the world.

·       Coimbra has a cost of living index of 46.94.

Arrival & Integration

A number of services are directly available to provide a smooth arrival and
integration in the country and city:

·       Welcome by the International Relations Unit
<https://www.uc.pt/en/driic> (Welcome Centre).

·       Help in registration, visa issues and social services, e.g. access
to translation phone service
<https://www.acm.gov.pt/pt/-/servico-de-traducao-telefonica>

Family Support

·       Help finding accommodation, kindergarten /school

·       Spousal job search department

·       Child care and education:

   - Bilingual schools, such as St. Paul’s School
         <https://stpauls.pt/en/home-en/>
         - Public nursery and kindergarten from the Social Services of the
         University of Coimbra
         <https://www.uc.pt/sasuc/Apoio-a-Infancia/JARDIM_INFANCIA>
         - Other subsidized nursery and kindergarten services

Landscape, Tourism & Heritage

Coimbra is 2 hours drive away from the airports of Oporto and Lisbon. With
a population of roughly 150.000, its size creates a picturesque
community-based urban centre around the University of Coimbra
<https://www.uc.pt/international-applicants/estudar-viver-coimbra>.
Classified as UNESCO World heritage site <http://worldheritage.uc.pt/> in
2013, the monuments, history and culture of Coimbra hold a prominent
position.

The landscape and nature of the central region of Portugal offers an
exceptionally high standard of quality of life to Coimbra’s inhabitants. 1
h away from the surrounding mountains, Coimbra provides easy access to
explore hiking routes, natural waterfalls, natural lakes, among others. 45
min away from the Atlantic Coast, Coimbra is well-positioned to reach the
beach and practice aquatic sports, such as surfing. The gastronomy
<https://www.visitportugal.com/en/node/73762> of the central region is also
not to be missed.

*Support services @UC*

Type of incentive

UC Entity

Support with the submission process

DAPI: dapi at uc.pt

Support for international degree recognition by UC/Portugal

PT: https://www.uc.pt/academicos/graus/reconhecimentos

EN: https://www.uc.pt/en/academicos/graus/reconhecimentos

+Inf:  iii at uc.pt

Support for housing

SASUC

PT: https://www.uc.pt/sasuc

EN: https://www.uc.pt/en/sasuc

Welcome services

DRI

PT: https://www.uc.pt/driic

EN: https://www.uc.pt/en/driic

Travel and visa support

DRI

PT: https://www.uc.pt/driic

EN: https://www.uc.pt/en/driic

*To be discussed with your host institution or research centre at UC to
maximise impact:*

·       Teaching opportunities in post-graduate courses

·       Training opportunities

·       Opportunities for mentoring and formal supervision of masters’ and
doctoral students

·       Opportunities for tenure-track career applications

·       Support in the dissemination and communication of the results