[CogSci] Funded Ph.D. Positions at the International Max Planck Research School for Intelligent Systems

Falk Lieder falk.lieder at gmail.com
Sat Sep 7 09:31:45 PDT 2019

The Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems and the Universities of
Stuttgart and Tübingen collaborate to offer an interdisciplinary Ph.D.
program, the International Max Planck Research School for
Intelligent Systems (IMPRS-IS). This doctoral program will accept its
fourth generation of Ph.D. students in spring of 2020.

This school is a key element of Baden-Württemberg’s Cyber Valley
initiative to accelerate basic research and commercial development
in artificial intelligence. We seek students who want to earn a
doctorate while contributing to world-leading research in areas such as

·       Computational Cognitive Science
·       Machine Learning
·       Perceptual Inference
·       Human-Computer Interaction
·       Computer Vision
·       Robotics
·       Control Systems
·       Haptics
·       Computer Graphics
·       Micro- and Nano-Robotics

The participating faculty are Frank Allgöwer, Alexander Badri-Spröwitz,
Philipp Berens, Matthias Bethge, Michael J. Black, Andrés Bruhn, Andreas
Bulling, Martin Butz, Caterina De Bacco, Peer Fischer, Andreas Geiger,
Martin A. Giese, Matthias Hein, Philipp Hennig, Ardian Jusufi, Katherine J.
Kuchenbecker, Hendrik Lensch, Falk Lieder, Georg Martius, Mijung Park, Tian
Qiu, C. David Remy, Ludovic Righetti, Syn Schmitt, Gabriele Schweikert,
Bernhard Schölkopf, Fabian Sinz, Metin Sitti, Ingo Steinwart, Jörg
Stückler, Marc Toussaint, Sebastian Trimpe, Isabel Valera, Ulrike von
Luxburg, and Felix Wichmann.

Intelligent systems that can successfully perceive, act, and learn in
complex environments hold great potential for aiding society. To advance
human knowledge in this domain, we need doctoral students who are curious,
creative, and passionate about research to join our school.

·       You may join our program starting in spring of 2020.

·       You will be mentored by our internationally renowned faculty.

·       You will register as a university doctoral student and conduct
research.

·       IMPRS-IS offers a wide variety of scientific seminars, workshops,
and social activities.

·       All aspects of our program are in English.

·       Your doctoral degree will be conferred when you successfully
complete your Ph.D. project.

·       Our dedicated coordinator will assist you throughout your time as a
doctoral student.

People with a strong academic background and a master’s degree in
Engineering, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Mathematics, Control
Theory, Neuroscience, Materials Science, Physics, or related fields should
apply.

We seek to increase the number of women in areas where they
are underrepresented, so we explicitly encourage women to apply. We are
committed to employing more handicapped individuals and
especially encourage them to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer
and value diversity at our institutions.

Admission will be competitive. If selected, you will receive funding via
an employment contract, subject to the rules of the Max Planck Society and
the two participating universities.

You can apply at http://imprs.is.mpg.de before midday CET on *November
6, 2019*.  Finalists will be invited to selection interviews that will take
place from January 28 to January 31, 2020, in Stuttgart and Tübingen,
Germany.

For further information, please visit http://imprs.is.mpg.de
Attachments area

—

Falk Lieder, Ph.D.

Max Planck Research Group Leader for Rationality Enhancement

MPI for Intelligent Systems, Tübingen, Germany