[CogSci] Postdoctoral position with interdisciplinary research team

Jessecae Marsh jessecae.marsh at lehigh.edu
Thu Oct 31 10:33:52 PDT 2019

Position Title: Postdoctoral Fellow in Community Resilience

We invite applications for a postdoctoral fellow position at Lehigh
University to work with a multidisciplinary team of researchers exploring
how human perception of recovery relates to community recovery from a
natural disaster. The research team is comprised of faculty from
Anthropology, Civil Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, Psychology,
and Structural Engineering. We are looking for a postdoctoral fellow who is
excited about working in a collaborative environment to help advance a
multifaceted research project.

Our community resilience team is part of Lehigh University’s new Institute
for Cyber Physical Infrastructure and Energy (I-CPIE). This
University-funded initiative brings faculty from across colleges at Lehigh
University to study issues related to infrastructure and energy. We are
beginning a project that will develop recovery indices from the North
Carolina coastal region affected by Hurricane Florence (e.g.,
infrastructure and economic data), and compare those indices with survey
and focus group data that tap community members’ perceptions of how well
they and their communities have recovered. Our goal is to better understand
how traditional metrics align or do not align with the lived experiences of
people in recovering communities.

With funding from an internal Lehigh grant, we are hiring a postdoctoral
fellow to help with human subject data collection. We seek a researcher who
will apply social science techniques to investigate perceptions of
recovery. The position will include opportunities to gain experience in
multidisciplinary research, to build skills in online survey data
collection, and to receive training in focus group data collection and
qualitative and quantitative data analysis. Experience with multiple forms
of human subject data collection is preferred. The anticipated start date
is February 1, 2020, but can be negotiated. The initial appointment will be
for 6 months, and extensions may be provided conditional upon achievement
of the required objectives and availability of funding. Additional funding
is being pursued by the team, and will continue to be pursued in
collaboration with the postdoctoral fellow.  The social science leads for
this project are David Casagrande (Anthropology), Alberto Lamadrid
(Economics), Jessecae Marsh (Cognitive Psychology), and Dominic Packer
(Social Psychology). The engineering leads on this project are Paolo
Bocchini (Civil and Environmental Engineering), Brian Davison (Computer
Science and Engineering), and Richard Sause (Civil and Environmental
Engineering).

Successful applicants will have a doctoral degree in a social science field
related to the research project (e.g., Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology,
Economics, or related field) prior to the start date and relevant research
experience.  In addition, demonstrated proficiency in verbal and written
communication skills and the ability to work in a collaborative,
multidisciplinary team are required.  Interested applicants should submit a
cover letter, curriculum vita, a brief statement of research
accomplishments, and contact information for at least three references.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.  Review of applications
will begin on November 1 and will continue until the position is filled.
Please email application materials to Ms. Naomi Rivas, I-CPIE, 19 Memorial
Drive West, Lehigh University, Bethlehem PA 18015 (USA); nar618 at lehigh.edu.

Lehigh University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and
does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender,
gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic
origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.

Jessecae Marsh, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
*Psychology | **Health, Medicine, and Society | Cognitive Science*
Director, *Health, Medicine, and Society Program*
Lehigh University