[CogSci] Travel awards to the Sacker Colloquium May 1-3: "The Brain Produces Mind by Modeling"

Shiffrin, Richard M. shiffrin at indiana.edu
Sun Mar 17 09:32:53 PDT 2019

We invite applications for travel awards to young scientists to attend the Sackler Colloquium “The Brain Produces Mind by Modeling”, to be held May 1-3 at the Beckman Center of the National Academies of Sciences in Irvine CA on May 1-3, 2019. The organizers are Rich Shiffrin, Sophie Deneve, Josh Tenenbaum, Danielle Bassett, and NIko Kriegeskorte. Please see the website http://www.cvent.com/d/76qkwt for detailed information, an agenda, and registration instructions.

We will be offering up to 40 travel awards. These are intended for young students, undergraduates, graduate students, or postdoctoral researchers prior to their first faculty position. The award amounts are expected to be limited by $800, $1000, or $1200, depending on distance of the awardee from Irvine. Awardees do not have to have research to present, but those who do will be given the opportunity to present their research with both a ‘flash talk’ advertising the subject matter and a later poster. Awardees will also be given several opportunities to discuss research in groups of two or three with the colloquium speakers.

Those applying for travel awards should register and pay the registration amount. If you receive a travel award it can be used also to cover registration. If you do not receive a travel award, the registration fee will be refunded if requested by 4/4/2019. 50% will be refunded if requested after 4/4/2019 and prior to 4/18/2019. We will let you know about your travel award prior to 4/4.

  To apply, send the following information to shiffrin at indiana.edu<mailto:shiffrin at indiana.edu>:
1)     A one page or less bio sketch, including home institution and contact information.
2)     A statement of 300 words or less explaining why attendance would be valuable.
3)     A letter of reference (one page or less).
4)     OPTIONAL: A title and an abstract of 300 words or less for research to be presented via a ‘flash talk’ and a poster.

We especially invite applications from women and members of under-represented groups. If you fall into one of these categories, indicate this fact in your bio-sketch.