[CogSci] The Music Lab goes live

Samuel Mehr sam at wjh.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 8 17:55:21 PDT 2019

Dear CogSci,

Many thanks to everyone who provided tons of feedback in our public beta of
themusiclab.org. We've now rolled out many updates ahead of a public launch
in the next week or two.

If you and/or your students happen to be interested in running a
large-scale experiment about any area of music, sound, and/or audition,
please get in touch! If it can be game-ified we can probably help to make
it happen. And because the site overhead costs are basically constant
(whether there are 10 or 10,000 concurrent users) new experiments are quite
cheap to run.

And for anyone interested more generally in how large-scale online
experiments work, our games are built in jsPsych (https://www.jspsych.org/),
which is super easy to learn, even for students with minimal programming
experience. The back-end is the Pushkin platform (
https://link.springer.com/article/10.3758%2Fs13428-018-1155-z), the
development of which Josh Hartshorne leads at Boston College. I believe
Josh is putting together a public release Pushkin in the next few months.

all best
Sam

--
Samuel Mehr