[CogSci] Announcement: Interdisciplinary Workshop on the Philosophy and Psychology of Visual Space

apetrov at alexpetrov.com apetrov at alexpetrov.com
Wed Jan 30 08:48:39 PST 2019

You are cordially invited to participate in the INTERDISCIPLINARY
WORKSHOP OF THE PHILOSOPHY AND PSYCHOLOGY OF VISUAL SPACE (PPVS2019)

The workshop will take place at the Ohio State University in Columbus,
Ohio, on 15 and 16 February 2019. It is organized by Gary Hatfield (U
Penn, Philosophy), Declan Smithies (OSU, Philosophy), and Alexander
Petrov (OSU, Psychology).

 What is the nature of visual space? Is it one space or many? What is
the geometry of visual space(s). How is the visual representation of
space realized in the brain? How does the visual system recover a 3D
representation from 2D retinal inputs? How can we best explain
constancies and inconstancies in the visual appearance of space? How can
we best make sense of the misrepresentation of space in vision? What
philosophical implications does this have for the nature of conscious
experience and our knowledge of the external world?

 These and related questions will be addressed at the workshop by
leading researchers in philosophy and psychology. The invited speakers
include:
 * Julie Golomb (OSU, Psychology)
 * Carl Granrud (U Northern Colorado, Psychology)
 * E. J. Green (MIT, Philosophy)
 * Gary Hatfield (U Penn, Philosophy)
 * Jan Koenderink (KU Leuven, Psychology)
 * Farid Masrour (U Wisconsin-Madison, Philosophy)
 * Alexander Petrov (OSU, Psychology)
 * Susanna Schellenberg (Rutgers, Philosophy)
 * Declan Smithies (OSU, Philosophy)
 * James Todd (OSU, Psychology)
 * Mark Wagner (Wagner College, Psychology)
 * Ying Yu (OSU, Psychology).

 The detailed conference program, titles, and abstracts are available at
the conference web site http://alexpetrov.com/events/PPVS2019/.  There
is no registration fee. We hope you will join us!

 -- The Organizing Committee