[CogSci] Funded PhD studentship - Social Signals of Interpersonal Trust

Lynott, Dermot d.lynott at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 05:56:33 PST 2019

Applications are invited for a 3.5-year EPSRC DTP PhD studentship in the Centre for Research and Evidence on Security Threats (CREST) at Lancaster University. Beginning October 2019, the student will be based in Psychology and supervised by Professor Paul Taylor, Drs Stacey Conchie and David Ellis.

The PhD will examine how trust among individuals and small groups can be measured from ubiquitous behavioural data streams, such as email, social media and phone usage. By applying established and new measures at a scale larger than studied previously, the PhD will seek to understand how our day-to-day acts shape our social relations over time and across groups. The kinds of questions the PhD might address include: Is it possible to identify healthy and unhealthy relationships? How is trust gained rapidly? What are the roles of particular psychological factors (e.g., identity, emotions) that affect trust? What is the impact of external events on trust and when does it break down?

Full details are available here (https://www.findaphd.com/phds/project/social-signals-of-interpersonal-trust/?p107329), and the closing date is Thursday, March 28, 2019.

If you wish to discuss the studentship informally or if you have any questions about the position, please contact Paul Taylor (p.j.taylor at lancaster.ac.uk<mailto:p.j.taylor at lancaster.ac.uk>).

Best wishes,
Dermot Lynott,