[CogSci] CUNY2020: Abstracts due 12/5

Brian Dillon brian at linguist.umass.edu
Sun Dec 1 05:55:35 PST 2019

Dear colleagues,

This is a gentle reminder that the deadline to submit abstracts for CUNY 2020 is December 5th, 2019 (this Friday!), by midnight in the author’s timezone. You may submit your abstracts here: https://www.softconf.com/j/cuny2020/

Please find more information about the conference below.

Sincerely,

The UMass CUNY organizing committee
Mara Breen, Brian Dillon, Lyn Frazier, John Kingston, Shota Momma, and Adrian Staub

------

The 32nd Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing will be hosted by the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, from March 19-21, 2020. The conference focuses on the comprehension, production, and acquisition of language at the sentence level, traditionally drawing researchers from psychology, linguistics, cognitive science, neuroscience, computer science, education, and philosophy.

The special session of this year’s CUNY is "The role of linguistic theory in psycholinguistics." With our special session, we hope to highlight the important interdisciplinary relationship between linguists and psychologists that lies at the the heart of the CUNY conference and community. As a place that encourages and celebrates dialogue, our conference has been a strong contributor to maintaining and strengthening this interdisciplinary bond over many decades now.

Investigations into the neural and cognitive processes that underpin language have found numerous connections to theoretical work in linguistics, from phonology on up to pragmatics. At the same time, linguistic theories have taken insights from cognitive and developmental constraints to inform grammatical theories. This tight linkage has led researchers to ask interesting questions at this interface, including: How are basic linguistic operations realized in neural computations? How do extra-linguistic cognitive and developmental factors shape natural grammars? Do different grammatical systems lead to systematically different processing strategies? For the special session, we interpret linguistic theory as broadly as possible, comprising work in theoretical prosody, syntax, morphology, semantics and discourse/pragmatics. Work that is appropriate for the special session will explore the link between formal theories at any of these levels of representation and issues of real-time sentence processing.

Seven prominent invited speakers will represent research at the interface between linguistic theory and sentence processing:

Elsi Kaiser, University of Southern California
Liina Pylkkänen, New York University
Hannah Rohde, University of Edinburgh
Florian Schwarz, University of Pennsylvania
Patrick Sturt, University of Edinburgh
Matt Wagers, University of California, Santa Cruz
Duane Watson, Vanderbilt University

As usual, we also invite abstracts related to language processing more generally. Abstracts may be for poster or for 20-minute talk slots. Instructions for submission and the submission portal are available on the conference website (https://www.umass.edu/linguistics/cuny2020)

For more information, please contact cunyumass at gmail.com

We look forward to welcoming you to Amherst in 2020!