[CogSci] PhD positions in cognitive science / cognitive neuroscience at UCLA (Idan A. Blank)

Idan Blank iblank at mit.edu
Mon Nov 12 10:30:27 PST 2018

The BlankLangLab in UCLA’s Psychology Department has openings for PhD students (tuition + stipend provided) to study the functional organization of language processing in the human mind, using functional neuroimaging and/or computational modeling approaches, combined with behavioral experiments. Main projects in the lab combine naturalistic (data-driven) and task-based (hypothesis-driven) paradigms to study:
* The internal architecture of the cortical language network, its relationship to other functional brain networks, and its re-organization in post-stroke aphasia.
* The structure of distributed representations of word meaning, the knowledge they implicitly capture about conceptual organization and linguistic phenomena above the word level, and the statistical properties of natural language input that carry this knowledge.
* The correspondence between distributed meaning representations derived from neural data and computational models.
In addition, I am excited to discuss related research directions with students who are interested in topics that I am not actively working on.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidates will have (i) experience in scientific research (not necessarily in psychology / neuroscience), including statistical analyses; and (ii) basic programming skills (preferably in Matlab / Python).
FUNDING: The graduate program guarantees departmental funding for 5 years (the annual stipend is currently $27K; tuition and most fees are also paid). This support model assumes that students are able to become California residents starting their second year; see here:
https://www.ucop.edu/residency/10-things-grads.html
https://www.ucop.edu/general-counsel/_files/ed-affairs/uc-residence-policy.pdf
APPLICATION: Prospective students should apply to the Cognitive Area of the graduate program by Dec 1, 2018 (details below). I particularly welcome applications from members of traditionally underrepresented groups, as I am strongly committed to diversity in science. I encourage you to contact me (psych_iblank at ad.ucla.edu<mailto:psych_iblank at ad.ucla.edu>) if you plan to apply, especially if you have any questions.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. See here:
https://www.psych.ucla.edu/faculty/page/idanblank
https://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/prospective-students
https://www.psych.ucla.edu/graduate/areas-of-study/cognitive-psychology
https://grad.ucla.edu/programs/life-sciences/psychology/#program-requirements<https://grad.ucla.edu/programs/life-sciences/psychology/%23program-requirements>
Idan Blank
Post-doctoral associate
McGovern Institute for Brain Research
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
43 Vassar St., Room 46-3037c, Cambridge, MA, 02139