[CogSci] MIND Computational Summer School at Dartmouth College

Jeremy Manning Jeremy.R.Manning at dartmouth.edu
Fri Mar 23 10:26:02 PDT 2018

Dear CNS,

We are delighted to welcome applications for the second annual *Methods in
Neuroscience at Dartmouth (MIND) Computational Summer School*, to be held
from July 30 -- August 7, 2018 in Hanover, NH. The theme of this year’s
summer school is Narratives and Natural Contexts.

There has been renewed interest in extending the study of neural and
psychological phenomena in highly controlled laboratory settings to more
naturalistic paradigms that more closely reflect the rich spatiotemporal
structure of the real world.  Bridging this divide requires developing new
experiments and analytic methods. The goal of our summer school is to
provide a forum for gaining hands-on experience with some of the latest
computational tools that can help gain insight into understanding how our
brains process naturalistic stimuli and contexts. We will offer a mix of
expertise at a broad range of spatiotemporal scales and domains (e.g.
behavioral, cognitive, social; circuit, whole-brain, and social networks;
etc.). In addition, we will maintain our special focus on training students
to use and contribute to open-source tools, data sharing, and other “best
practices” for open science.

For more information, and/or to apply, please visit our website
<https://summer-mind.github.io/>.  Please note that this year’s application
deadline is April 29, 2018.  You may also find information about last
year’s summer school (theme: multiscale network dynamics) here
<https://summer-mind.github.io/2017.html>, along with all course
materials.  We anticipate a diverse and talented mix of graduate students,
postdoctoral researchers, and junior faculty will participate in the summer
school, and we hope to see you this summer in Hanover!

Kind regards,

Luke Chang <http://www.cosanlab.com/>, Jeremy Manning
<http://www.context-lab.com/>, and Matt van der Meer
<http://vandermeerlab.org/>

Directors

Jim Haxby, Thalia Wheatley, and Dan Rockmore

Advisory Committee

This event is sponsored by the Center for Social Brain Sciences
<http://sbs.dartmouth.edu/>, Center for Cognitive Neuroscience
<https://www.dartmouth.edu/~ccn/>, Dartmouth Research Computing
<http://rc.dartmouth.edu/>, and Neukom Institute for Computational Sciences
at Dartmouth <http://neukom.dartmouth.edu/>.