[CogSci] Jobs in the Stanford Language and Cognition Lab

Michael C. Frank mcfrank at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 12 17:00:20 PST 2018

Hi all,

I'm writing to announce a series of positions open in my lab. We are hiring
a *research assistant*, two *postdoctoral fellows*, and a *research
scientist. *These positions are at a range of different career stages but
all will contribute to our lab's mission of building a data-oriented,
quantitative understanding of early language and cognitive development (see
below).

*Positions*

** Research assistant.* The research assistant will be the lab manager for
the Language and Cognition Lab, with responsibility for designing,
creating, running, and analyzing experiments with infants, children, and
adults (including experiments delivered using web-based platforms);
coordinating and recruiting undergraduate research assistants; coordinating
participant recruitment; and assisting in planning lab events and
meetings. Apply through Stanford careers at https://stanford.taleo.net/
careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=77872. Review begins 3/1.

** Postdoctoral Fellow 1 (Data Science and Development).** This position
will involve the analysis of large datasets on language and cognitive
development, including from wordbank <http://wordbank.stanford.edu>,
childes-db <http://childes-db.stanford.edu>, MetaLab
<http://metalab.stanford.edu>, and other partners. Some background in
statistics / data analysis is an important qualification. *Send a CV,
coverletter, names of 2-3 references, and two representative research
products to dkellier at stanford.edu with the subject line "DSD Postdoc
Application." Review begins 3/15.

** Postdoctoral Fellow 2 (ManyBabies Project).* Follow the instructions
found through the full job ad <http://manybabies.stanford.edu/postdoc.html>
. *Review begins 2/15 but will be ongoing until the position is filled. *

** Research Scientist.* This is a 3+-year position intended for a
researcher with some postdoctoral experience who is interested in
collaborating with and supervising students and research assistants on a
range of projects. An ideal candidate will have an overlapping research
program with ongoing work in the lab such that their portfolio can include
some of the ongoing data-oriented, collaborative projects in the lab. In
addition, the Research Scientist will coordinate a new project on
children's vocabulary development in China. I imagine this position as a
flexible platform to engage with the lab's research at the highest level
while also pursuing a personal research agenda. If you are potentially
interested, please send a message to me along with an up-to-date CV.

Stanford and the Language and Cognition Lab value inclusiveness and
encourage candidates that bring personal diversity of all types to these
position. We recognize that many otherwise strong candidates will require
training in particular areas and are prepared to provide appropriate
training opportunities.

*Lab Mission*

How do children learn their native language, and how does language learning
interact with other, parallel processes in child development? The goal of
research in the Language and Cognition Lab is to use large-scale datasets,
novel measurement methods, and statistical/computational models to come to
a quantitative understanding of early child development.

We particularly seek to:
* Characterize the mechanisms of social learning and developmental change
that drive the process of language acquisition;
* Explore the patterns of variability and consistency in children’s
development across individuals, languages, and cultures; and
* Understand how early language learning depends on – and in turn enables –
children’s social interaction and conceptual representation.

Theory development requires reproducible and replicable empirical
measurements that converge across labs, measures, and methods. We
accomplish our goals through a combination of data-oriented theoretical
synthesis – compiling and analyzing multiple datasets to reproduce and add
precision to existing constructs – and targeted experimental work with both
children and adults to explore new constructs. This joint approach yields
rich, reusable data and shared tools and resources that enable further
work.

best,

Mike

----