[CogSci] Neural Mechanisms Online, 20 April: Felipe DE BRIGARD

Fabrizio Calzavarini fabrizio.calzavarini at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 05:17:13 PDT 2018

Neural Mechanisms Online(website)

Webconference
h 15-17 Greenwich Mean Time(check your local time here)[practical information below]

Felipe DE BRIGARD(Duke University)

Cognitive systems and the changing brain
(to attend the webconference please write to neuralmechanisms at gmail.com; see below)
 The notion of cognitive system is widely used in explanations in cognitive psychology and neuroscience. Traditional approaches define cognitive systems in an agent-relative way, that is, via top-down functional decomposition that assumes a cognitive agent as starting point. The extended cognition movement challenged that approach by questioning the primacy of the notion of cognitive agent. In response, [Adams, F., and K. Aizawa. 2001. The Bounds of Cognition. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.] suggested that to have a clear understanding of what a cognitive system is we may need to solve “the demarcation challenge”: the problem of identifying a reliable way to determine which mechanisms that are causally responsible for the production of a certain cognitive process constitute a cognitive system responsible for such process and which ones do not. Recently, [Rupert, R. 2009. Cognitive Systems and the Extended Mind. Oxford: Oxford University Press.] offered a solution based on the idea that the mechanisms that constitute a cognitive system are integrated in a particular sense. In this paper I critically review Rupert’s solution and argue against it. Additionally, I argue that a successful account of cognitive system must accommodate the fact that the neural mechanisms causally responsible for the production of a cognitive process are diachronically dynamic and yet functionally stable. At the end, I offer a suggestion as to how to accommodate this diachronic dynamicity without losing functional stability. I conclude by drawing some implications for the discussion on cognitive ontologies.

Practical information
Neural Mechanisms Online is an international cycle of webinars (=online seminars) on the Philosophy of Neuroscience. The webinars will be held from January to July 2018, every two weeks (calendar). They will deal with hot topics of the philosophy of neuroscience. Several outstanding researchers from all around the world will present their paper, which will be shared via our mailing list. During the session, the author will present their work (30-45 min) and discuss it with the participants (how does it work).
Conferences will be hosted by Cisco WebEx, a professional software made available by the University of Turin. All you need to join is to download a browser plugin. The download link is provided along with the invitation to join the conferences. If you want to connect with us during the sessions, please contact us to fix a technical check.
NM Word Press: linkNM Youtube Channel: linkNM Facebook: link
To receive material, videos, and details about how to connect with us, please join our mailing list by writing to:

"neuralmechanisms at gmail.com"
Calendar

DATE / TIME (GMT)* / WHO

12 January 15-17 Philipp Haueiss

26 January 15-17 Marco Nathan

9 February 15-17  Charles Rathkopf

23 February  15-17 Edouard Machery

9 March 8-10 Colin Klein

23 March 15-17 Daniel C. Burnston

6 April 15-17 Alfredo Vernazzani

20 April 15-17  Felipe De Brigard

4 May 15-17  Joseph McCaffrey

18 May 15-17  Carl Craver

1 June 15-17  Jacqueline Ann Sullivan

15 June 15-17  Mazviita Chirimuuta

29 June 8-10 David M. Kaplan (TBC)

13 July 15-17 Matteo Grasso

* Notice that time is based on Greenwhich Mean Time (GMT), and can vary due to timezones and daylight saving time. Click on the link for finding out your local time

--
The Neural Mechanisms team

Fabrizio Calzavarini
Agostino Pinna Pintor