[CogSci] Call for Workshop Proposals - UMAP2018 - 8-11 July 2018 - Singapore

Marko Tkalcic marko.tkalcic at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 08:37:07 PST 2017

CALL FOR WORKSHOP PROPOSALS

to be held in conjunction with the
26th ACM Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP)
July 8-11, 2018, Singapore

UMAP 2018, the premier international conference for researchers and
practitioners working on systems that adapt to individual users, to
groups of users, and that collect, represent, and model user
information, is pleased to invite proposals for workshops to be held in
conjunction with the conference. The workshops provide a venue to
discuss and explore emerging areas of User Modeling and Adaptive
Hypermedia research with a group of like-minded researchers and
practitioners from Industry and Academia.

In 2018 our goal is to have a balanced workshop program which comprises
workshop formats of different types and a combination of emerging and
established topics. Different full-day and half-day workshop formats are
possible, for example:

- Working group meetings around a specific problem or topic; such
workshops may wish to ask participants to submit a white paper or
position statement.
- Mini-conferences on specialized topics; such workshops may have their
own paper submission and review processes.
- Mini-competitions or challenges around selected topics with individual
or team participation.
- Interactive discussion meetings focusing on a subtopic in the general
User Modeling and Adaptive Personalization research topics.

PROPOSAL FORMAT

The workshop proposals should be PDF documents not exceeding 5 pages,
organized as follows:
- Workshop title and acronym
- Workshop chair(s), including affiliation, email address, homepage, and
experiences in organizing such events
- Abstract (up to 300 words) and topics
- Motivation on why the topic is of particular interest at this time
- Workshop format, discussing the mix of events such as paper,
presentations, invited talks, panels, and general discussion
- Intended audience and expected number of participants
- List of (potential) members of the program committee (at least 50%have
to be confirmed at the time of the proposal)
- Requested duration (half day or full day)
- When available, past editions of the workshop, including URLs, a brief
statement on the development of the workshop series, e.g., in terms of
topics, number of paper submissions and participants, post-workshop
publications over the years and acceptance statistics.

INSTRUCTIONS

We encourage both researchers and industry practitioners to submit
proposals.

We encourage interested researchers in submitting a workshop proposal to
contact us in advance with workshop ideas, so we can help designing
successful proposals. In particular for workshop proposals with novel
interactive formats, we are happy to assist in further developing and
implementing the ideas.

We strongly suggest to have organizers from different institutions,
bringing different perspectives to the workshop topic.

We welcome workshops with a creative structure that attracts various
types of contributions and ensures rich interactions.

The organizers of accepted workshops will prepare a workshop web site
containing the call for papers and detailed information about the
workshop organization and time-line. The organizers will be responsible
for their own reviewing process and publicity. There will be an ACM DL
conference adjunct proceedings where the workshop papers will be
published. Hence, the workshop organizers will need to adhere to the
adjunct proceedings publication time-line.

Proposals should be submitted in PDF format by email to both workshop chairs
by *January 14, 2017*.

IMPORTANT DATES AND ANTICIPATED TIMELINE

Important deadlines and anticipated time-line (upon acceptance) is as
follows:
- Proposal submission deadline: *January 14, 2018*
- Notification of proposal acceptance: February 2, 2018
- Deadline to send the workshop description and website URL : February
20, 2018
- Suggested date for the 1st call for papers: February 25, 2018
- Suggested date for the 2nd call for papers: March 20, 2018
- Suggested date for the 3rd call for papers: April 10, 2018
- Suggested date for workshop papers submission: April 15, 2018
- Suggested date for notification to authors: May 15, 2018
- Workshop summary camera-ready deadline: May 27, 2018 (to be included
in the adjunct proceedings)
- Workshop papers camera-ready deadline: May 27, 2018 (to be included in
the adjunct proceedings)

WORKSHOP CHAIRS

Marko Tkalcic (Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy)
marko.tkalcic at unibz.it
Marco de Gemmis (University of Bari Aldo Moro, Italy),
marco.degemmis at uniba.it

Dr. Marko Tkalcic
mailto:marko.tkalcic at gmail.com
http://markotkalcic.com